Engaging Works reveals that the average workplace happiness score for the UK has tumbled four points since February to 651.This figure is two points under the average global workplace happiness score of 653.
The UK now ranks tenth globally when it comes to happiness in the workplace. Austria (690), Spain (682), United States (719), France (672) and Germany (675) are all above the UK in rating workplace happiness.
These figures have come from responses from over 10,000 people globally who have taken the free Workplace Happiness Survey by Engaging Works which aims to provide practical and personalised advice to help improve wellbeing at work and to increase productivity and overall happiness within the workplace. The Workplace Happiness Survey asks 26 questions and then delivers a score out of 1000.
“It’s no surprise that the UK workplace happiness score has fallen, given the uncertainty that businesses and individuals are feeling around Brexit,” commented Lord Price. “This drop should act as a reminder to businesses to measure, track and improve the engagement and happiness of their employees, which will ultimately improve productivity and overall success of the business.”
The real-time data currently reveals the following results:
- Men rather than women are most likely to be unhappy at work
- 70 per cent of millennials who are in employment reveal that they are determined to quit their current job and look for pastures new this year
- Millennials are more likely to currently feel that they are not doing something worthwhile at work compared to non-millennial employees
- Managers continue to be happier at work than non-managers
The top five industries in the UK with the happiest employees include:
1. Real Estate and Lettings – 767
2. Business Management – 713
3. Legal Services – 710
4. Marketing and Advertising – 693
5. Fast Moving Consumer – 688
The top five industries with the unhappiest employees include:
1. Telecoms – 539
2. Aerospace and Defence – 600
3. Education – 604 and Energy – 604
4. Healthcare – 614
5. Retail – 622